This has been an exciting week with many of our DAS Counsellors being flooded with responses from youth who are seeking employment and study opportunities. After an article in the media indicating that 51% of South African youth are unemployed we really see an opportunity for Department of Education and Trade and Industry to provide after school opportunities that will reach this target audience. This week alone we’ve received more than 400 conversations per hour via MXit, Africa’s largest mobile social network, requesting support in the area of careers, employment and studies. This is directly due to 74% of our 250,000+ mobile support users are aged between 15 – 25.
At RLabs we are launching our FREE Academy for the community and youth at risk, as well providing career mentorship programmes via MXit and our JamiiX Cloud System. Our partnership with MXit and support from Vodacom Foundation and SAFIPA is key to growing these services to youth across South Africa.
The work we are doing have been highlighted in a number of local newspapers and online news portals. You can view some of the articles below:
- Youth Cafe: Rocklands Graduation August 1, 2014
- Youth Cafes brewing HOPE July 22, 2014
- RLabs Bridgetown: Academy courses 2nd Semester July 1, 2014
- RLabs Academy 2nd Semester Scholarship Applications July 1, 2014
- Rockefeller Foundation invests in GROW Leadership Academy June 26, 2014